Cocoa butter contains the perfect balance of humectants and emollients that Black skin needs. There are several reasons why; dry skin, aging and damaging skin affect black skin mostly, with lower levels of ceramides. Ceramides help form a barrier against moisture loss.
But the black skin has low levels of ceramides, causing rapid moisture loss. That’s how cocoa butter comes in. The rich content of cocoa butter with its fatty acids, anti-oxidants and moisturizing content helps restore moisture on the skin.
The purposes of skincare cosmetics like cocoa butter include cleaning the skin, preserving the skin’s moisture balance, stimulating skin metabolism, and protecting the skin from harmful ultraviolet radiation.
Hence we researched the 18 Best Cocoa Butter Lotion for Black Skin; the perfect moisturizer for black skin below.
18 Best Cocoa Butter Lotion for Black Skin Picks
- Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Daily Skin Therapy Body Lotion
- Gold Bond Ultimate Radiance Renewal
- Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Fragrance-Free Lotion Pump Bottle
- NOW Solutions, Cocoa Butter Lotion
- Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula with Vitamin E Men’s Body and Face Lotion
- Cocoa and Shea Butter Body Lotion
- Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Face and Body Crème
- Lubriderm Daily Moisture Body Lotion
- Suave Smoothing Body Lotion with Cocoa Butter
- NIVEA In-Shower Cocoa Butter Body Lotion
- Tree to Tub Lotion for Sensitive Skin
- Sky Organics Pure Unrefined Raw Cocoa Butter
- Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Glow Body Lotion
- Jason Cocoa Butter Hand & Body Lotion
- Alba Botanica Hawaiian Hand & Body Lotion
- All Good Hand & Body Lotion
- Cantu Softening Body Butter
- Unrefined Cocoa Butter
Comparison Table For Best Cocoa Butter Lotion for Black Skin
|Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Daily Skin Therapy Body Lotion with Vitamin E
|Gold Bond Ultimate Radiance Renewal Hydrating Lotion
|Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Daily Skin Therapy Body Lotion with Vitamin E, Fragrance Free
|NOW Solutions, Cocoa Butter Lotion for Dry and Flaky Skin
|Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Men Body and Face Moisturizer Lotion
|Ultimate Organic Cocoa Butter & Shea
|Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Face & Body Crème
|Lubriderm Daily Moisture Hydrating Unscented Body Lotion
|Suave Cocoa Butter with Shea Body Lotion
|NIVEA Cocoa Butter In Shower Lotion
|Tree To Tub Unscented Shea Butter Body Lotion
|Sky Organics Cocoa Butter for Body, 100% Raw and Unrefined
|Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Glow Body Lotion With Pure Cocoa Butter
|Jason Hand & Body Lotion, Softening Cocoa Butter
|Alba Botanica Hawaiian Hand & Body Lotion
|All Good Hand & Body Lotion
|Cantu Softening Body Butter
|Unrefined Cocoa Butter - Use on Pregnancy Stretch Marks
Best Cocoa Butter Lotion for Black Skin Reviewed!
1. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Daily Skin Therapy Body Lotion– Best for deep hydrating
Palmer’s cocoa butter formula daily skin therapy moisturizes your dry skin and face and hands. Trust it as a keeper for years for it will keep your hands super soft, feeling like someone 10 or even 15 years younger.
This product works great for 24 hydrating and you only need a little. This daily moisturizing body lotion features a light cocoa scent and provides deep hydration for all skin types, from normal to dry to eczema-prone skin.
- Hydrates all skin types
- Vegan friendly
- Dermatologically proven and safe
- Contains cocoa butter and vitamin E
- Soothes very dry skin and eczema as well
- Improves skin tone, firmness, and reduces scars
- Provides deep moisturization as well
- Super thick with tight bottle
- May be slippery
2. Gold Bond Ultimate Radiance Renewal– Best for soft skin during summer
Even after rocking thermals all day and walking in the cold, trust Gold Bond Ultimate Radiance Renewal to keep your legs hydrated, supple and smooth!
As one of the best moisturizers, it helps keep your feet soft in between pedicures and looking good in sandals.
Put it on while your skin is still wet from my shower and it not only locks in moisture, it also makes it easier to spread on the skin. It gently exfoliates so you don’t get the buildup of dead skin and you don’t have to use a loofah. The softness also lasts a long time. I am glad I gave this lotion a chance
- Instantly moisturizes
- Works on dry cracking skin
- Non-greasyMoisture intensive and hydrating
- Contains a rich blend of coconut oil, African shea butter, and cocoa butter
- Treats itchy, irritated and dry skin well
- Fights signs of aging
- You have to press the pump hard
- You have a slightly silky touch after using it
3. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Fragrance Free Lotion Pump Bottle– Best for itchy sensitive skin
Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Fragrance-Free Lotion doesn’t have that chocolate smell to clash with perfume and doesn’t feel greasy either; a plus for sensitive skin.
You can rub this rich lotion on your long scar and not worry about anyone staring at you because you smell like a chocolate candy bar! Its thick texture absorbs easily onto the skin so you can put it on, rub it in then put your clothes or pyjamas on and not have them feel wet and sticky like you get with a lot of lotions. It doesn’t feel greasy either!
Smooth, soft inch free, it prevents itching and soothes effectively. You’ll love that its smell is not overpowering. It does fade. The lotion comes out thick and buttery, not runny and it’s not greasy, however, it forms a good seal on the skin. It does a good job to prevent trans-epidural water loss (TEWL) or water evaporation from the skin.
You can literally use it on your new tattoo for quick healing.
- Works on itchy skin
- Smell is moderate
- Works on scars
- May contain fragrance
4. NOW Solutions, Cocoa Butter Lotion– Best for Protection from Environmental stress
Butter Lotion is formulated with cocoa butter and Rhodiola extract to aid in protecting the skin from the stress of environmental factors. It also contains Aloe vera and allantoin which naturally soothe minor skin irritations, with almond oil as an emollient, helping draw and keep moisture in the skin
NOW solutions cocoa butter lotion is a great formula that could provide substantial relief for sensitive skin that has been over-dried by skin sanitisers.
It’s rather thick and doesn’t spread easily at first, it might feel a bit greasy right after you apply it, but absorbs well after a few minutes, leaving your skin smooth.
The smell is natural cocoa butter or herbal scent, not overwhelming, provided you find cocoa smell pleasing in the first place. It also provides moisturizing safety mostly for the hands and body but also the face.
You’ll love how smooth, supple and moist it makes your skin feel after application, including the sweet chocolate smell.
You’ll also love that it has natural ingredients that are easy on your skin. You can trust using it on your face because it is perfect for the whole body, unlike most people who find other cocoa products quite sensitive to their face.
- Contains aloe vera, allantoin, cocoa butter, and almond oil to moisturize deeply
- Works very well on excessively dry skin
- Rhodiola extract protects the skin from environmental stress factors
- Minor skin irritations can also be addressed
- Good for face and hands
- Very thick to some
5. Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula with Vitamin E Men’s Body and Face Lotion – Best for dry skin
Part of the perfection is that Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula with Vitamin E Men’s Body and Face Lotion is thick and rich, yet absorbs into the skin almost instantaneously. It works especially well during the winter months when your skin gets dry.
This is thicker than most lotions on the market and you might mistake it for clogging your pores. It doesn’t. It’s really great and goes on smoothly! Grab it while you can, it’s getting harder to find.
Conversely, if you suffer from dry itchy skin in the wintertime, you really should try this product, especially if you work out so often and end up taking more showers in a day.
- Thick and rich with natural ingredients
- Good for dry skin
- Very thick.
6. Cocoa and Shea Butter Body Lotion– Best for messaging onto thirsty dry skin
Locking in moisture, cocoa and shea butter body lotion is a match made in Heaven for its rich antioxidants. This lotion protects the skin from damaging free radicals and slows down premature ageing. This lotion also works perfectly on sensitive skin with its anti-inflammatory-rich properties.
This lotion smells gorgeous and goes on easily with its unique texture, soothing your dry skin all day.
After a long day of being up and about, gently massage cocoa and shea body butter into tired feet, from heel to toe, for the perfect wind down.
Apricot oil and aloe vera are two more botanical heroes that make up the dream team. Brimming with skin-soothing vitamins and essential fatty acids, they nourish and hydrate without leaving any greasiness.
So whether you slather on a generous helping all over your body before bed or apply it as part of your morning skincare routine, there’s no need to worry about lotion residue on your clothes or sheets.
It’s also cruelty-free and suitable for vegans.
- Great texture
- Organic ingredients
- Perfect for dry skin
- Soothes skin
- Great smell
- Not inexpensive
7. Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Face and Body Crème– Best for all skin types
Indulge your face very liberally with Queen Helene Cocoa Butter Face and Body Crème, the best moisturizing product for seniors.
It works perfectly on scars treatment. Apply it overnight as a night treatment on your face for fresh, clean, and healthy skin. This is pure, glides on smoothly, and actually hydrates all areas of your body without lots of chemicals.
It hydrates dry areas like elbows, hands, arms, feet and legs. It is great in the summertime to use after sun exposure. It is very thick and creamy. Smells great. Natural cocoa butter and pure lanolin are the main ingredients quoted on the jar; working on very dry skin in winter.
- Blend with lanolin gives a moisture boost to the skin
- Soothes dry and irritated skin
- Lightly scented
- Daily use keeps the skin well moisturized and hydrated
- Natural ingredients
- Treats eczema
- May be very greasy to some
- People with very dry skin might need re-application as it tends to dry out fast
8. Lubriderm Daily Moisture Body Lotion- Best for skin blemishes
This lotion leaves your skin very soft and gets rid of blemishes over time. It keeps your skin tone looking smooth, treating mild to severe eczema, all year round. It is so soothing to your skin because it’s not greasy or heavy.
The smell is great but not overwhelming at all. It’s a great moisturizer, especially for summer.
- Gets rid of blemishes over time
- Treats eczema
- Dermatologically tested
- Provides day long moisturization
- Makes dull and lifeless skin radiant
- Has a sweet smell
- Non-greasy formula
- Strong cocoa smell
- Needs reapplication
9. Suave Smoothing Body Lotion with Cocoa Butter– Best for smoothing skin
As a gentleman, you find Suave Smoothing Body Lotion with Cocoa Butter soothing to your skin. It’s your go-to lotion for elbows, legs and feet. The fragrance is soothing and never sticky. It is a calming lotion we use at bedtime.
Apply to occasional eczema and usually dry skin out of the shower for hydrated skin. The lotion does not make your skin greasy nor does it not clog your pores. It smells and feels amazing. It keeps your face hydrated and healthy all day every day.
- Excellent for men
- Smoothing skin
- Intense moisturizing benefits
- Good amount of shea and cocoa butter for a moisture boost
- Skin feels soft and smooth
- Smoothens flaky skin and firms skin
- Non-greasy formula
- Smell might be too strong for some
10. NIVEA In-Shower Cocoa Butter Body Lotion – Best for Moisturizing super dry skin
If you expose your skin to chlorine-prone swimming pools often, this is the best lotion for you. It is super moisturizing after the pool. It helps hydrate your skin and return all the oils stripped during the swim.
Apply an in-shower body lotion and watch it work for you. It felt weird to rinse off the lotion you just applied but it works! While your skin is still wet, apply NIVEA In-Shower Cocoa Butter Body Lotion all over your body. Be careful not to rub it on your heels as it’s slippery. Wash it off in under a minute or two. Pat dry with a towel. Do not rub it.
It legit keeps your skin moisturized all day.
- Lots of hydration
- Skin looks happy
- Light scented
- Slippery at the heels
11. Tree to Tub Lotion for Sensitive Skin– Best for softening broken skin
Everything about this lotion is perfect, considering the natural, nourishing ingredients that were used to create this skin-softening lotion.
It smells gently of aloe vera, which is the top ingredient that was used. Aloe vera is well known for its ability to heal and soothe skin, and people say that it’s the secret behind Cleopatra’s beautiful skin.
This lotion feels very slick and lightweight, without any greasiness, stickiness, or heaviness. It just seems to instantly float across and sink into thirsty skin, and there isn’t much of a waiting period at all.
For such a lightweight lotion, it’s extremely effective in moisturizing and softening dry skin. It’s obvious that a lot of care and research was put into the creation of this lotion, and you’ll be blown away by its efficiency and quality.
This lotion is organic, fair trade, vegan, cruelty-free, hypoallergenic, and eco-friendly. It contains no silicone, sulfates, parabens, perfumes, toxins, or other synthetic junk that is packed into most commercial skincare products today.
It truly erases dry patches and seems to reverse aging by improving the quality and elasticity of your skin. You can use this lotion all over your body, hands, feet, or face, and feel really good about it’ free of fragrance and alcohol
It’s amazing for eczema-prone skin.
- Soften skin
- Erases dry patches
- Treats eczema
- Slick and lightweight
- Vegan friendly
- Nice smell
- Some may find it light in texture
12. Sky Organics Pure Unrefined Raw Cocoa Butter for Body, Hair and DIY – Perfect for DIY Beauty
This quality raw cocoa butter melts perfectly into your skin. You can mix it with other butter and oils for your homemade whipped butter.
You can also scoop some out into a small container and let it melt in the sun so you can use it for your lips.
- Contains a 100% pure form of raw and unrefined cocoa butter
- Unrefined cocoa butter improves skin tone and elasticity, preventing stretch marks
- Protects skin’s natural oils
- Keeps skin well moisturized and hydrated
- It’s purely natural without any added chemicals or preservatives
- Natural cocoa smell
- Perfect for making whisked butter
- Pure unrefined cocoa have a hard texture
13. Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Glow Body Lotion with Pure Cocoa Butter– Best for severe eczema
If you have skin that is plagued with severe eczema on your hands or cracked, raw, scaly, and flaky skin that looked like it belonged to Darth Sidious, this is your solution.
It moisturizes, hydrates and keeps your skin soft.
- Good for severe eczema
- It is light in texture
14. Jason Cocoa Butter Hand & Body Lotion– Best for moisturizing extremely rough skin
This botanically rich, non-greasy daily lotion delivers deep long-lasting hydration. Its blend of intensive Cocoa Butter, Sunflower Oil and soothing Chamomile extract softens and helps relieve extremely dry, rough skin. With prolonged use, skin is nurtured back to smooth, pampered comfort.
This is the only body lotion that is excellent for the whole family to use in the house. No headaches of smell sensitives for it smells great and does the job of moisturizing skin.
- Good for hand and body
- Contains Cocoa Butter, Sunflower Oil and soothing Chamomile extract
- Great moisturizer
- Smells great
- Smell might be too strong
15. Alba Botanica Hawaiian Hand & Body Lotion, Replenishing Cocoa Butter– Best for nourishing eczema-prone skin
One 6oz. tube of Alba Botanica Hawaiian Replenishing Cocoa Butter Hand & Body Lotion nourishes dry skin with botanical emollients such as cocoa butter and Shea butter. Made with a blend of jojoba, macadamia, flax and sunflower oils, it has no parabens, phthalates, harsh sulfates, or animal testing and 100% vegetarian formula.
You’ll love the way it feels, sinking in pretty quickly on your skin. It isn’t greasy, nor does it leave your hands slick. It packs some real moisturizing power with its lovely scent. It works around your cuticles treating eczema.
This lotion also treats spots of eczema or very dry skin. Rub some on your feet at night and anywhere else that needs a bit of care like your elbows. You’ll wake up more nourished than ever.
It’s a good summer moisturizer.
- It contains sugar cane enzymes and tropical nut oils to nourish the skin
- It conditions and moisturizes the skin from within
- It is safe and free of parabens, phthalates, and fragrances
- It’s a vegan product and not tested on animals
- Expect the unexpected scent wise
16. All Good Hand & Body Lotion– Best for Cystic acne and very dry skin
Use All Goof Hand and Body Lotion on your whole body head to toe and watch it work amazing on your cystic acne and very dry skin.
It’s very moisturizing without feeling thick or greasy. You will find relief using your cracking knuckle as it soothes and moisturizes it to softness.
It’s also very hydrating because it is thick enough to stay moisturizing, although it’s got a slightly sticky feel for the first hour, but then it absorbs really well and leaves your skin feeling incredibly soft and smooth all day. You will appreciate that the ingredients are organic and for the most part all-natural.
In the winter, use this lotion on your dry hands for sufficient moisturizing.
What’s more, it is great for sensitive skin and super moisturizing without feeling greasy. It has a very natural smell to it, and doesn’t smell like artificial fake lavender.
- You don’t need a large amount.
- Has a great smell; I have the Lemongrass one and it is so light and refreshing.
- Makes your hands smooth.
- It’s very lightweight, and your hands don’t feel like they have leftover residue on them.
- Some may find it sticky
17. Cantu Softening Body Butter – Best for Soft skin
If you want smooth supple skin then Cantu Softening Body Butter is the product for you.
On dry skin, it adds moisture and helps combat dryness. Recommended for winter especially because it dries out much more in cold weather so adding shea butter and vitamin E is an added bonus. You’ll love moisturizing Shea butter Cantu body butter.
- Soften dry skin
- Add moisture
- Combats dryness
- Dry out quickly in summer
18. Unrefined Cocoa Butter– Best for Whipped Butter and stretch Marks
This butter is perfect for Pregnancy Stretch Marks, and making moisturizing lotion, chapStick, lip balm and body butter. It’s 100% Pure, food-grade, and smells like chocolate. Best for whipped butter and stretch marks.
Perfect whipped cocoa butter with other oils for body butter for stretch marks, dry skin, or lip balm. Its raw butter leaves your skin so smooth and luxurious. The smell is a bit strong and nutter, but not horrible; it fades with time.
- 100% Raw or unrefined
- Perfect for homemade whipped butter
- Chocolate smell
Best Cocoa Butter Lotion for Black Skin Buyers Guide. Things to consider before buying these products
To get the best out of cocoa butter products for black skin, consider the following tips when buying;
1. Pure and unrefined cocoa butter:
The surest and purest way to get the most out of cocoa butter lotions is to look out for products that use unrefined cocoa or cacao butter. Natural or raw cocoa butter contains 100% fatty acids like palmitic and oleic acids. These contribute to the moisture content of the skin, thus making the skin deeply moisturized and nourished.
2. Free of harmful chemicals:
Harsh chemicals like phthalates, parabens, SLS, and sulfates, usually rob the goodness of a product and also affect the properties of other ingredients. Hence, try and buy cocoa butter lotions for the skin, which are devoid of harmful additives for a more effective dose of moisturizing care.
3. Higher concentrations of cocoa butter:
A good cocoa butter lotion should have hydrating and nourishing properties. Look for cocoa butter lotions, which have higher concentrations like the pure butter.
4. Look for additional ingredients:
Cocoa butter, in its pure form, could be a little sticky or greasy due to its solid texture. Additional ingredients make it a little easy to absorb and non-greasy. Look for additional ingredients, which add to the moisture rather than drying it out. Ingredients like shea butter, aloe vera, and vitamin E are great to give an additional moisture boost.
Using cocoa butter lotions, either in pure or organic forms, have long-term benefits on the skin. A well-moisturized body will be helpful to keep away signs of ageing, wrinkles, and fine lines at bay.
Q: What should I look for when buying cocoa butter?
If you’re looking for purity, buy it in stick form, which contains 100 percent cocoa butter. Or, if you’re concerned about additives, get a piece of whole, unrefined cocoa butter and melt it in hot water to make your own products.
Q: Which cocoa butter is good for black skin?
Put your complexion and diminishes numerous skin imperfections, including dark spots, scars and stretch marks.
Q: Is cocoa butter lotion good for black skin?
Cocoa butter’s rich moisturizing, hydrating properties can improve the appearance of dry skin on those with dark skin tones. The fatty emollients lock in moisture to keep the skin hydrated and moisturized. and brighter in its appearance.
Q: What is cocoa butter lotion good for?
Cocoa butter lotion can replenish skin moisture and create a barrier to protect your skin from moisture loss. Compared to other oils and creams, cocoa butter tends to be absorbed well without leaving skin greasy. However, cocoa butter definitely helps skin maintain its elasticity and tone.
Q: What are the properties of a good cocoa butter base?
Cocoa butter contains a high amount of fatty acids, which make it well-suited as a primary ingredient in skin cream. Fatty acids help to hydrate the skin. The fat in cocoa butter creates a protective barrier that holds in moisture and prevents your skin from drying.
Cocoa butter lotions are extremely helpful for all skin types, especially black dry skin. In the details above, we discussed the best 18 cocoa butter products for perfect black skin, including the pros and cons.
The best cocoa butter lotion for black skin
Now the best on this list, according to customer reviews, satisfaction and our research is Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Daily Skin Therapy Body Lotion, followed by Gold Bond Ultimate Radiance Renewal and Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Fragrance-Free Lotion Pump Bottle.
The rest are NOW Solutions, Cocoa Butter Lotion and Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula with Vitamin E Men’s Body and Face Lotion.
How to buy
Note that, all these cocoa butter body lotions reviewed are unique to all your skincare needs. We understand it can be tough choosing the right one for your needs. Remember, Palmer’s works for all your skin needs.
Meanwhile, we’ll specifically recommend Gold Bond Ultimate Radiance renewal for your cracked skin.
Whichever you find perfect for you, you can purchase at (LINK)
1.“New Cosmetic Science, Elsevier.” Skincare cosmetics, edited by Takeo Mitsui, Science Direct, 1997, Pages 319-369.
2. Analysis of the effect of recent reformulation strategies on the crystallization behaviour of cocoa butter and the structural properties of chocolate– H. Ewens, L. Metilli, E. Simone, 4 March 2021.
3. Temperature/duration couples variation of cocoa beans roasting on the quantity and quality properties of extracted cocoa butter – Annals of Agricultural Sciences– Pauline Mounjouenpou, Daniel Belibi, Robert Ndjouenkeu, 24 April 2018.
4. Bindu Naik, V. K. (2014). Cocoa Butter and Its Alternatives: A Review. JOURNAL OF BIORESOURCE ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY.
5. ChemistDirect. (2022). Palmers. ChemistDirect.
6. Cocoa Butter and Cocoa Butter Equivalents. (2001). In K. W. Smith, Structured and Modified Lipids (p. 14).
7. Connery, T. (2018). The Amazing Cocoa Butter – 6 Reasons to Make It Part of Your Health & Beauty Regimen! Wild Mountain Chocolate.
8. Dand, R. (2011). The International Cocoa Trade (Third Edition). In Cocoa Butter; an Overview.
9. Fanny C. Padilla, R. L. (2000). Characterization of cocoa butter extracted from hybrid cultivars of Theobroma cacao L. SCIELO.
10. Forbes, J. (2022). Why Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Has Been My Favorite Moisturizer for Almost 30 Years. Allure.
11. Kumar, D. S. (n.d.). Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Body Gloss Cream Side effects. Generic Drugs.
12. Minifie, B. (2012). Cocoa Butter and Replacement Fats. In B. Minifie, Chocolate Cocoa and Confectionery Science (pp. 85-111). Netherlands: Springer Netherlands.
13. Montes, S. (2022). Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Is a Hydrating Hero for Dry Skin. Byrdie.
14. New Directions Aromatics. (2017). BEAUTIFYING BENEFITS OF NATURAL COCOA BUTTER. New Directions Aromatics.
15. Palmers.com. (2022). Palmers Collections. Palmers.
16. Stalder, E. (2018). Cocoa Butter Is The Powerful Skin-Care Ingredient You’ve Been Underestimating. Refinery 29.